Monday, March 29, 2010

My Sister's Keeper

Yesterday my girls watched My Sister's Keeper. I didn't want to watch it because it was too sad. I only enjoy movies and books when they are sources of entertainment; an escape from reality to a better place than where I am. When they deal with difficult or depressing issues, I tend to avoid them like the plague. I know that is shallow of me. I realize that some of the world's best literature is deep and dark, delving into the pain and suffering we all endure as human beings. But I never claimed to be an intellectual. For me, life is hard enough without books and movies that bring me to convulsive tears. Reading the newspaper is all the sadness I can stand.

My girls, however, loved the movie. Georgia told me afterward that it had a good message. She told me that it was about "...learning what you can control and accepting what you can't...and trying not to be afraid of those things."

I have been thinking about that all day. What a gift it is for a child to watch such a sad movie and draw such an insightful, positive message from it. I love that kid!

No comments: