Thursday, September 24, 2009

Yo Quiero Taco Bell

Tonight I found an old journal from my pre-computer (e.g., pre-Blog) days. I can't believe I once kept a handwritten journal and kept record of my daily, boring life. Now, I can't even write a check without getting writer's cramp! Thank God for modern technology.

One of the stories I read in my journal made me laugh out loud. It was right after we moved to Ft. Benning from Vicenza, Italy. During my years in Vicenza, my friends and I used to sit around and talk about what we missed most about the USA. One of my best friends missed Mexican food. She used to say, "I would kill for Taco Bell right about now!" at least ten times a week.

I have always loved Mexican food, but it was never that common in New England. We used to drive all the way to Plymouth just to eat at Sam Diego's, and we never had a Taco Bell. My friend's longing for Taco Bell instilled an obsession inside of me....I couldn't wait to get back to America to try it.

When we moved to Ft. Benning, Hannah was about six months old, and MitchMan was doing some kind of Army school. I remember one night he had to go to the field, and I was a little timid about being home alone with Hannah. So after he left for work, I strapped her into her seat, and we went out driving. That is what I always do when I move to a new place. I set off in the car without a map and without a clue. I usually end up getting lost, but then I am forced to find my way back home, and it helps me learn my way around the area.

Low and behold, I was out driving, and guess what I found? Taco Bell. I was so damn excited at the sight of it that I pulled into the drive-through. I remember that moment just like it was yesterday...I was sitting at the speaker, reading the menu, trying to decide what to order. There were two or three cars behind me and I was filled with a sense of rush, so I told the guy, "I want one of everything." I mean, it looked cheap enough. Less than $1.00 for a Meximelt? What a bargain!

Needless to say I ended up spending $29.58. (**I wrote this in my journal, that's how I know.) (**And those were the days when gas on Ft. Benning was 77 cents a gallon.)

When I got home with all six bags of food, I spread everything out on the table. I had nachos, quesadillas, Meximelts, crunchy tacos, soft tacos, burritos, gorditas, chalupas, and a fiesta taco salad. With a side of beans. And a large diet Pepsi.

I didn't know where to start. My heart was racing with excitement. Yo quiero Taco Bell! I reached for a Meximelt...and that's when I heard the front door open.

MitchMan stood there in the kitchen doorway staring at me with an expression of complete shock and horror. For a moment we were both speechless. I froze with the Meximelt halfway to my lips, mortified. Finally I said, "I found Taco Bell!"

Honestly, I am not a big fan of Taco Bell. That Meximelt in 1997 was the highlight of my short-lived Taco Bell obsession. But you have to admit, that chihuahua was freaking cute.

No comments: