Monday, September 21, 2009

Toothless

Last night I had a really bad dream. I was looking in the mirror and my front tooth was hanging by a thread. I was horrified, so I tried to fix it, but when I touched the tooth, it fell into the sink along with three others. I tried to fish them out of the drain, but the harder I tried, the more teeth kept falling.

I awoke in a cold sweat, shaking. I ran to my bathroom to make sure my teeth were still there. Thankfully, they were...but that did nothing to calm me from the strange dream. I couldn't go back to sleep.

I posted about this dream on my Facebook status this morning and immediately received several comments from people who have had similar dreams about losing their teeth!!! How crazy is that? Apparently, it is a very common nightmare.

I Googled it and found this article that explained what teeth falling out might possibly symbolize. Apparently this common dream motif represents some of our deepest fears: Fear of death, or getting old; powerlessness; fear of change; fear of failure or embarrassment; abandonment; financial instability.

Well I guess that explains it then. I fell asleep wishing I could stop Hannah from growing up so quickly, wishing we had more money, wishing I had my 20-something-year-old body back, wondering if I should still try to make it up to the Army Ten Miler (that I registered for back in February) and risk not making it to the finish line thus humiliating myself in front of all my friends who will surely finish before I do.

There MUST be a way to turn my brain off at night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You could always come up and hang out with the girls and I while other people are running!
laura