We drove to the southernmost point in the Continental USA this past week. Any farther and we would have wound up in the ocean, swimming towards Cuba. Marking the southernmost point in Key West is this rather tacky, unimpressive monument. When we passed by it there was a line forming of people waiting to pose by this "thing" and get their photo taken. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to be? A giant buoy?
There is a place on the Big Island of Hawai'i that is actually the southernmost point in all of the USA. We drove by it once on our way from the Volcano National Park to the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Now I regret not stopping to snap a photo. But there was no monument there, at least none that I recall. Maybe I should call someone on the Big Island and tell them to erect one?
There is a place on the Big Island of Hawai'i that is actually the southernmost point in all of the USA. We drove by it once on our way from the Volcano National Park to the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Now I regret not stopping to snap a photo. But there was no monument there, at least none that I recall. Maybe I should call someone on the Big Island and tell them to erect one?
Does anyone really care??
If I hadn't seen the crowds standing in line, sweating like pigs in the unbearable 100-degree heat, waiting to have their picture taken next to the giant ugly monument, I would have said "No. No one cares." But then there are the idiots. Like us.
No comments:
Post a Comment