There are so many places in the state of Florida I would love to see. It is one very large state. Over spring break we drove 7 hours north to a beach house on Cape San Blas in the panhandle part of the state. This week we are considering driving in the opposite direction. Apparently if we drive 7 hours south, we will be in the Florida Keys.
I don't know if we will make it all the way to Key West, but we hope to at least make it to Key Largo. Our destination is John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park where there is a sunken Spanish shipwreck 100 feet offshore.
I wish we had more money and more free time. I would love to explore the Everglades and Marco Island, hit South Beach in Miami, and drive all the way out to Key West even if just for a slice of Key lime pie. Not that I expect it to be any better than the Key lime pie at Bonefish Grill, but it's just the idea of eating Key lime pie in Key West that thrills me.
We are lucky to live in a place with so many things to do and see. When we lived in Ft. Benning, we used to drive an hour for the nearest "attraction" which was Callaway Gardens. It had lots of flowers and a butterfly sanctuary and a nasty "beach" with hundreds of kids trying too cool off in the hot Georgia summers. The beach was a man-made pond in the middle of the gardens that smelled like a sewer. I enjoyed living in Ft. Benning, but it also serves as a reference for me now; a reminder of how good we have it here.
No comments:
Post a Comment