Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Plus Sized

Have you seen this photo in Glamour Magazine?


This picture has recently sparked a lot of hype on the internet and in the news. This young supermodel is 20-yr old Lizzi Miller who is supposedly "plus-sized" (if you consider a 6 ft tall, 180-lb woman who wears a size 12 to be "plus-sized.") Apparently there were like a gazillion women who were overcome when they saw this photo of an "average-sized American woman" buried inside the pages of a high-fashion magazine that is well known for glorifying anorexic, wafer-thin, sickly-looking models.

Good for you Glamour! You finally posted a (3" by 3") photo of a woman who looks like she has actually eaten FOOD recently. She has thighs and a stomach and she doesn't even look ashamed!


Unfortunately, I don't think that posting this one picture is going to change anything. Even though so many people think it's cool that this Lizzi Miller earned a spot in Glamour, I daresay that America the Beautiful will never truly embrace poochy tummies.

I'm curious what guys think about this photograph. Probably: "Who cares about her stomach...Why isn't she showing her boobs?" (At least that's what Mitch Ultra would think, heh heh)

This photo inspired me to strike the same pose sitting on the vanity chair in my bathroom, in front of my large bathroom mirror. (Yikes!) Unlike Lizzi, I'm not 20 years old, and I've had three children. Suffice it to say I don't think I have to worry about Glamour calling me any time soon for a photo shoot.

But honestly? I think I look pretty damn good. Especially when I turn off all the overhead lights and take out my contact lenses.

No comments: