That is an understatement.
I can not function in the morning. The alarm goes off and I hit snooze nine times. When I finally pull myself out of bed, I am stumbling around, yelling at the kids because they are there, trying to make coffee (since Mitch is gone) which I fail at miserably. Our Tassimo one-shot coffee machine is broken, as of this morning. And though I tried to use the real coffee pot, I must have not put enough water, because it's black as tar and thick and burns the back of my throat like acid. NOT what I had hoped for.
So, no. I am not a morning person. Thank God I know this about myself and make school lunches and make the kids lay out their clothes the night before.
Except that Georgia, who promised me last night she was prepared, walks into the kitchen wearing jean shorts. NOT on the school uniform code. It just gives me more reason to yell at my child.
She goes on to tell me that most kids in her school don't wear the uniform anyway. "It's not my fault their parents are morons," I reply. "Go change your shorts."
On the way to school I can see she is sulking. She is not happy wearing her khaki shorts. I know why as soon as we pull onto the long driveway that leads down to Cimino Elementary. Only about 50% of the kids are wearing the school uniform that is clearly highlighted in a policy letter that has been sent home in their folders, mailed to us in the mail, and stated in bold letters on the shool website.
"Their parents are morons," I repeat to Georgia.
She sighs.
One little girl wearing knee-high black leather boots rides by us on her bicycle. She is wearing a mini-dress with leggings. "How ridiculous she looks," I comment.
"I think she looks cute!" Georgia retaliates. Obviously she is not thinking about the 95-degree Florida weather. I imagine this girl running around on the hot playground with these stupid black boots. I imagine what these boots must smell like when she takes them off at the end of the day.
The point is, it bothers me that a school has a uniform policy that is supposedly mandatory, yet, half the student population ignores it. It makes it unfair to the kids who follow the rules. It makes it even harder on the parents.
Stupid school.
Stupid mornings.
Can I go back to bed now?
No comments:
Post a Comment