Took the kids to the mall today. It was the last thing I wanted to do but they have been nagging me to no end. They wore me down.
Once upon a time, I loved going to the mall. But now I find it grueling. There are people who harass you as you walk around. A bald guy wielding a flat iron wants to help me with my frizzy hair. Some little Asian lady chases me, offering to help me with my wrinkly skin. An Indian guy wants to sell me some kind of miracle healing Dead Sea crap (euwww!!) And I can't forget to mention the smooth phone service provider salesmen who say things like, "Hey young lady, how you doing today?" with a sly wink and a grin. (If I'm such a young lady, then why was the Asian lady freaking me out about wrinkles?)
I try hard not to make eye contact with these people, and as a result, I walk around the mall with my head slung low, relying on my peripheral vision, banging into people. Even so, some of these pesty kioskers are so persistent they jump right in my path and hit me up with their sales pitch. I do my best to be polite and say "No thank you" but inside I am screaming, "GET THE HELL AWAY FROM ME!"
Freaks!
I mean if I wanted to be heckled by salespeople I would go to a flea market. It's so declasse for a mall.
(Like that word? Declasse? I also used the word "elitist" today....but that's a story for another post.)
2 comments:
I DO this very same thing at the mall! It irks me to no avail! Why am *I* having to hang my head? OR I walk briskly with purpose; I'm in a big hurry to nowhere! And usually end up passing where I need to go....Lol. Even though I put my hand up and say "no!!! with the quick follow-up, slightly sheepish "thank you.." before the leap, I am anticipating their intrusions! This, of course, interferes with all of the other thoughts in my "mall mode" brain of how many stops I need to make once I actually find myself there...where's Gavin...and oh crap I just realized the store I NEEDED to run into is located at the other side!! I leave every time with a headache! Grrr! PS...LOVE declasse!!
I hear ya! I sprint through the mall and break a sweat. I feel like prey.
Post a Comment