Wednesday, February 19, 2014

My Favorite Vanilla Vanilla Cupcake Recipe

Lots of people ask me how I get my cupcakes so moist and velvety. I am on the never-ending search to improve and improvise this basic cornerstone recipe, which I use not only for my vanilla cupcakes but also as the basis for many of my other cupcake flavors. Don't be afraid to experiment or break the rules. I think I broke many with this one, but it still stands as my favorite, no matter what the professionals would say!


Vanilla Cupcake Batter

3 large eggs, room temp
1 stick (8 TB) of lightly salted butter, melted
1 cup of good quality vanilla bean yogurt
2 tsp real vanilla extract
2 cups granulated white sugar
1 cup water
1 cup Cake Flour (I use Softasilk)
2 cups SELF RISING flour
a pinch of salt

Mix eggs with melted butter, yogurt, and vanilla. Add sugar and mix on low speed for about 30 seconds, then add water. Gradually add cake flour and self rising flour, and throw in a pinch of salt for good measure. Don't ask me why.

Mix on medium speed for about a minute. The batter will be beautiful silky smooth, not too thin, but thick enough that you can scoop it into the prepared cupcake liners with a spoon and not make a mess. Fill them 2/3 full. I usually get 34 1/2 cupcakes out of this recipe. (The 1/2 is for taste testing.)

Bake at 325 until they spring back to the touch, around 12-15 minutes. All ovens are different.

These cupcakes bake up perfectly and have the most amazing texture:




Cool and frost with vanilla buttercream:

Vanilla Buttercream

3 sticks of real, fresh butter, softened
2 boxes of powdered sugar
2 tsp Vanilla (or more, if you dare)

Beat butter in mixer until white and creamy. Gradually add one box of powdered sugar, on low speed, scraping down sides. Then add your vanilla. Mix in remaining box of sugar on low speed. Once everything is blended nicely, increase speed on the mixer to medium and beat for another 1-2 minutes.



The "perfect" vanilla cupcake!

No comments: