**Read That Blog Post Here:
http://naomihattaway.com/2013/09/i-am-a-triangle-and-other-thoughts-on-repatriation/
I have to admit that up until this week I do not recall ever having heard the term repatriation, although I could easily deduce the meaning with my razor sharp deduction skills. But I Googled it anyway, and according to Wikipedia (my go-to source for reliable information), this is what repatriation means:
Repatriation is the process of returning a person to their place of origin or citizenship.So this Blog post was written for people, like me, who find themselves at some point in their lives temporarily expatriated. (I also Googled that word, and it refers to "a person temporarily or permanently residing in a country and culture other than that of the person's upbringing.")
This is a great topic to ponder and I appreciate the thoughts it has stirred in me today. I thought I would share a few of them:
1. Is it easier to be a triangle in a square world or a triangle in a circle world?
2. If you are a triangle in a square world, you are expatriating. But if you are a triangle in a circle world, then you are repatriating. Right?
3. Are there levels or stages of repatriation? For example: Numbness & Denial; Yearning & Anger; Emotional Despair; Withdrawal; Readjusting; Letting Go and Moving On... etc., etc.
4.Once a repatriate, always a repatriate?
5. If you never return home to the circles....you will always be an expatriate.
6. As an expatriate, can you continue to morph into other shapes...such as a rectangle (if you expatriate long enough)?
7. Conversely, I believe there are expatriates who are semicircles and may never reach the triangle phase. This is because they shelter themselves from the squares, refuse to acclimate or enjoy the square world, and they spend most of their expatriation time period wishing they could still be circles.
8. Semicircles are usually unhappy until they repatriate.
9. Just because you are an expatriate doesn't mean you are an ex-patriot. It is possible to love expatriating while still being extremely patriotic.
10. If two triangles mate, do they produce diamonds?
Yes I am being silly (as usual) but this article truly wound up my emotions. It made me realize how much I am dreading repatriation. There was a time when I actually dreaded expatriation, but I think I dread this next phase even more.
It drives my husband crazy when I over-analyze stuff like this. But MM often says random things like, "How will I ever drink beer again (and enjoy it) after we move away from Bavaria?" So I think he, too, is dreading repatriation.
Triangle Couple

3 comments:
The words on your blog Beth are something that I have been talking to Darlene about form time to time. We see your picture of the wonderful friends and experiences you have had in Germany. I say to her that I'm sure your Repatriation will not be a easy road for you guy's. I enjoyed your blog. Maybe Mitch can ship a container full of beer to help ease the pain.
Thanks
Rod
For us, it feels like we are on this amazing vacation...an adventure that keeps on going. I imagine most people reach the point where they are ready for the vacation to end, but we are not there yet. I continually feel like there are so many places left to see; there is so much more to do. I am not ready for the adventure to end and the thought that it might happen sooner than I am ready is really frustrating. I don't know if we will ever get the chance to come back to Europe or have another experience like this. I am grateful for the time we have had but at the same time, I feel like it has ruined us forever.... because we will always know what we are missing. Does that make sense?
Parting is such sweet sorrow...I can feel your sense of frustration and understand it well....Retirement in many ways is the same emotional roller coaster. You work all your life to retire and when it comes there is such emotional conflict about leaving, staying, postponing, visiting, etc. Especially the human dynamic of departing a world of solid friends/colleagues. Another adult component that we gloss over in the folly of youth. I'm sure Mom is making the transition with many thoughts of her great career and the depth of how important it really is as we rush through it to a finish line we're not even sure we want to cross...and then the stark realization that you may well not want to!! Similar to seeing a great sports idol or movie star leave the scene and defer to Father Time. Beer may never ever taste the same when you and MM move on. But remember that you got to taste it, love it and know the difference of the quality ~ not only of the beer itself, but what it means in the fabric of your daily life. Think if all you had ever experienced in a micro world was Narragansett or Busch! Your worldly travel has set a very large table that will always have seats for you and yours. It's an automatic...like the old song says..."no, no, you can't take that away from me".... The melancholy is hard to endure sometimes, yet our human nature takes us there when we think of the great and beautiful things in our lives. It happens to me all too often when I think of you, your family and the long period of times and many miles that have taken you to Newport, Hawaii, Italy, and all those places that you've come to love and cherish. Feel those feelings and embrace them...you the terms you write of are part of your soul for life. And you will return, leave, and surely return again...flow with it, enjoy it and believe in your destiny. In fact my dear, you are Destiny's Child in the best sense of the meaning. Remember MacArthur ~ " I shall return..." You just have so many more places to return to! That makes you and MM special. ♥ Dad
Post a Comment