Monday, August 12, 2013

Deep Thoughts by Beth Watkins

Sometimes, I'm not so sure, is it the actual places I miss so much as it is the time in my life I spent in those places? Maybe both, but probably more the latter....

Newport, RI 2004
Tennessee, 2001

Our first home, Vicenza, Italy 1993

Ipo's first day, Valrico, Florida 2008

Casey with his special blanket, Mililani, Hawaii 2006

Austin Loop, Ft. Benning 2002


Our first day in Hawaii. Ko'Olina 2005

Often it frightens me to reminisce too much; makes me worry that perhaps the best times of my life are behind me now; that they exist only in my past. Although I know that is not true, because life is continually surprising me, there is fear in believing it sometimes. Especially late at night when it's just me and my many memories, and my dread of going to sleep because I know tomorrow I will be even older than today.

Why am I so afraid of getting old? Why do I equate it with loss, instead of what I am gaining each day?

Budapest, Summer 2013

But wouldn't it be nice if time would slow down a little? I'm not ready for gray hair and acid reflux.


No comments: